Image Map

27 April 2016

Sentence Correction

So I woke up this morning to the coldest morning I have had in Bridgetown yet!

I felt like I should be dressed like this....
 Sad thing is that it isn't even winter yet and this is NOT as cold as it gets!

Now that I am home I am on the couch resembling something very close to this . . . 
Literally it is a major decision to get up to get food right now with the warmth winning the battle for the time being! 

I thought I might share with you today a little bit of what I do in my literacy block - more to the point my sentence correction.

Sentence correction as the name implies is about correcting sentences.

Personally I focus on capital letters, end marks and spelling choices of particular sounds/rules we have learnt. It is a great revision activity and I believe helps shows that link between spelling a word and transferring it into writing. 

I have been slowly warming my current class to how sentence correction works as we will be doing this daily soon (well that is the plan anyway!) 

At the beginning of each week/lesson we revise over the sounds we are looking at for the week as shown below:


Then I display two sentences a day on the board. 



 Students copy down my sentences EXACTLY as I have written them in lead pencil. Then using a red pencil they correct the spelling mistakes, add capitals and end marks. 

At the bottom of the sentences is the rule we are working on to remind students on what to do and provide that extra support. 
                                      
You can easily support students further by printing the sentences out so people only need to edit rather than write the whole sentence or extend by asking students to find a synonym for a word or adding extra detail to the sentences via adjectives, adverbs or general information!

Well my finger tips are starting to freeze outside of the blanket!

I will love and leave you before I loose them!!!

One thing I know for sure - Winter is coming ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment