Image Map

13 April 2016

Emotion Pop Stick Puppets

Health - it is probably my most favourite subject to teach because I value it tremendously.

In my opinion if a child is not mentally happy not matter how good my academic lesson is – it’s not going in!


I usually teach about bullying in the last term (only as there is so much to cover!!!) but this year I had a go at doing it first term to see the difference.

It has definitely helped doing out on the playground doing it in the first term however the class isn’t as emotionally mature as they are at the end so some concepts went over their head or were not taken as seriously. 

I think next year we will learn a little about what bullying is in term one but leave the whole unit for term 4.

Best of both worlds! ;)

One of my favourite lessons was when we talked about how to respond to social situations using the prompts: think, feel, talk and choose.
- Think about what is going on
See how you feel
Talk about what you want
 -  Choose what to do

After discussing each of these points in details we participated in an activity where they had to decide how they felt.

I gave each student 6 blank circles and faces and asked them to draw the following emotions:
·         Happy
·         Angry
·         Scared
·         Relaxed
·         Worried
·         Sad

The children were encouraged to represent and colour that emotion according to how they perceived it. For some people blue is a happy colour, others it is a sad colour.



Once they finished decorating the faces we got to work one cutting and attaching pop sticks to create emotion puppets!






Finally I read out some scenarios to the class and they had to think about the situation and decide how they would feel if they were in that situation.



It was a great exercise because some scenarios didn’t make some students had mixed reactions. Not all students would feel angry or scared or happy if they were in that situation.

It sparked GREAT conversation and was one of those MAGIC moments!

I love my job.

I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world.

Although you know a million dollars on the side would be nice!! ;)


Have a wonderful week!

Speak Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment