Image Map

26 September 2015

Area! Area! We know what to do!


Unfortunately I have been quite unwell the past week! L I don’t usually get sick but as soon as I do it goes straight to my chest! L L L L

After fighting it for a week I finally went to see the doctor and he told me exactly what I had thought it is viral so there is nothing to be given and we just have to wait for it to run its course….to which he then told me he thinks I have another few days ahead of me!
 
To make things even harder this time - I lost my voice!

Which in the teaching word makes things pretty near impossible!!!!?

Try taking your kids on an excursion with no voice……

I did…. - it’s not a stroll in the park!

However I was and AM very fortunate to work alongside two amazing teachers who helped me out a lot! J I love those girls to the moon and back!
 
BUT on the bright side of all this blogging and TPTing does not require me to speak at all!!! J J however please excuse spelling mistakes as my pain medication does make me drowsy hee hee It has taken me two days to write this as I drop in and out of sleep!
The past week we have been looking at area in our class J
I love teaching area! It can be so much fun and it is a concept where 96% of the class are able to be extended to work at a year three level! It just boosts their confidence up so much to know what they are doing is year three work or for some year four!
I decided to create a unit about area and perimeter because I think there are so many fun things you can do with this!!!!  J
 
We began our unit by looking at what area was and the difference between area and perimeter. We created an anchor journal page that we could refer back to if needed. I think it is important kids try to put things down in words J

 
After this we brought out the cubes and had a go together find the area of shapes using cubes!
We did LOTS of practise with the cubes making sure everyone knew there needed to be no left over space, to start at the edge etc.



After this we moved on to counting squares on a grid to find the area of rectangles and squares!

We practised this understanding by making an area picture and we later created our own area robots! J


Some of my students have very quick math brains and so we had a look at finding the area when they cut through half of a grid.
 This is not included in the pack but I will upload it as a freebie when I go into school next :)

Below is a snapshot of everything in the pack ....You can grab it at my store :)



In case you can't tell I am getting quite drowsy and hitting a lot of random keys so I am going to head to bed quickly!!!

Speak soon!










No comments:

Post a Comment