Image Map

18 August 2015

Big Book Q&A

This term in Writing we have been learning all about Narratives!

We have been looking at the elements of a narrative using the Diana Rigg narrative structure. We have examined well known narratives looking at these elements in each book.

One element in particular is lots of fun but hard for little minds to get around sometimes. That element is characters thoughts and feelings. The feelings part is okay but the thoughts seem to be the area they struggle just a little. We always have so many questions!!!

I decided the best way to help my students understand a character’s thoughts would be to ask a character!!!

Now I know this in nice in theory but impossible when using fictional characters!!
So I went with the next best thing ….I dressed up as a character so my class could ask how I felt and what I thought throughout the story.


We had been reading Possum Magic (a personal favourite) in class that week so I put my best ‘nanna’ on and dressed up as Grandma Poss!

I am not going to lie it was a little concerning how much I could pass for a Grandma!!!! Hee hee


My students came in and were allowed to ask Grandma Poss any question that related to the story particularly about how she felt and what she was thinking about the story!

My little fish were bursting with excitement!!!!


They came up with many great questions! As expected one of the questions for Grandma Poss was to do some bush magic so she made a puppet owl appear ….from inside her sleeve ;)

After we finished our Q&A we shared some light morning tea.


Of course our snacks consisted of vegemite sandwiches and lamingtons . . . 

after all we didn’t want any of them to turn invisible! ;) hee hee

No comments:

Post a Comment