Image Map

31 July 2015

Sentence Expansion

It's Friday!! It's Friday!!! Got to get blogging on Friday!!! ;)
Well as I have already made abundantly clear it is Friday and on Fridays I party and by party I mean take naps ;) So before I collapse into a slumber I thought I would share a little bit about  how we work on our sentences in our class :)

Sentence Correction

To assist with students transfer of knowledge from short term to long term memory we do sentence correction which is based on the spelling rule/s we have previously covered together in class. I will often also include errors in grammar and punctuation for example missing capitals from proper nouns our not including an end mark at the end of the sentence. 



Sentence Expansion

Now that we are half way through the year and we have previously looked specifically at all the elements that make up a sentence... we are now looking at how to expand our sentences which is perfect as we are starting our narrative writing genre this term!


To help support my little kiddos I created a PowerPoint that takes them through a specific process to expand their simple sentences.

On the first day we read the simple sentence and copy it down as our title for the week. 


The man cut down the tree. 

1. We then write the sentence and strengthen the noun in yellow or orange pencil to be a specific noun i.e. turning girl into princess. 

The lumberjack cut down the tree. 

2. The next day we rewrite the sentence this time strengthening the verb by making the verb less common i.e. changing run to sprinted.

The lumberjack chopped down the tree.


3. On the third day we add ADJECTIVES to help paint a vivid picture for our reader!!!!

The strong and hard working lumberjack chopped down the tall, old, oak tree

4. After that we added an adverb to describe the verb in the sentence!

The strong and hard working lumberjack swiftly chopped down the tall, old, oak tree. 

5. On the last day we add detail to our sentence by thinking about:

  • Where are they going?
  • When did this happen?
  • Where did this occur?
  • Why did they do this?

One sunny day a strong and hard working lumberjack swiftly chopped down a tall, old, oak tree in the nearby forest so he could use the wood to light a fire.  


In the end it looks a little something like this in their books!


If you want to grab the PowerPoint I made FOR FREE just jump over to my TPT store by clicking on the TPT social button above!!! 


Well I am off to do some prep for next week! 

I am super excited about teaching Maths next week because we are beginning to look at early multiplication!! I really LOVE teaching multiplication strategies!! :)


Have a great week Y'all!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment